Thursday, January 19, 2012

Has any one had a problem after charging a jumpstart battery in their car?

After I used tryed to charge my jump start battery in my car using a 12v plug, the car no longer charges my car battery.

Did my alternator died out?

When I used the battery on another car it worked fine.



Is it bad for a car to charge a jump start battery while driving?Has any one had a problem after charging a jumpstart battery in their car?
I don't quite understand what you mean by starting your car with a 12 volt plug. Generally speaking battery chargers are rated by regulated amps not volts. If you jump started your car with another 12 V source such as another battery no damage should have have been done to your car's alternator.

The only thing you can do now is test your alternator with the car running with a volt meter across the battery terminals. It should read a minimum of 13.5-14.0 volts. If not, a new or rebuilt alternator is in order.Has any one had a problem after charging a jumpstart battery in their car?
The alternator must have died before you charged the battery or else you wouldn't have needed to charge it at all ?Has any one had a problem after charging a jumpstart battery in their car?
no way will charging 2 batteries damage your alternator

unless you connect it the wreong way round of course!
It's never a good idea to use the car's alternator to charge a dead battery. It puts the alternator into "full" capacity condition for a long period and that fries the electronics. They're not built for that kind of long term load. Next time use a battery charger instead.



Rick



I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep current with the latest automotive technology. Visit my blog for cool articles and TSB's: http://free-auto-repair-advice.blogspot.鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment