Thursday, January 12, 2012

Car battery?

1994 Mitsubishi Diamante.



I replaced my battery when I got my car 7 months ago. My car hasn't been giving me any trouble. This morning when I got in my car I noticed that the button on the drivers side to control all the locks didn't work. When I started my car I also noticed that the clock was no longer working, it disappeared. On top of that my tape deck is asking me to reset my code. I'm guessing it has to do something with the battery. I'm just curious why it happened to randomly and if there's something wrong. Should I just replace the battery?Car battery?
You need to check the connections on the battery and the starter solenoid. There may be corrosion on them, or just worked themselves loose. Also, check connections on your starter relay, if it has one. You should also check the grounds between battery, chassis and engine. Use a voltmeter, and see if there is voltage between the grounds and the battery ground. If you have a significant voltage, then you have an open, or partially shorted ground.Car battery?
If the car started fine you don't need to replace the battery. The symptoms you described sound like the battery got disconnected somehow - or perhaps a fuse blew but all of that stuff shouldn't have started working again if you didn't replace the fuse.



Just wait it out and see if it happens again, maybe it won't. You definitely should not replace the battery at this point.Car battery?
You can get a free charging system test at Auto Zone, but because your car started it sounds like a circuit breaker. If a battery loses enough power to put out your clock and radio the it would not have enough amperage to start your car. You may want to double check your battery cables and make sure they are tight, a loose one can cause this.
It's unlikely the battery itself - they don't fail intermittently. I suspect a poorly tightened terminal.
  • edelbrock
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment